Saturday, 14 January 2012

Little Tragedies by Howie Good

Little Tragedies by Howie Good is published by Graffiti Kolkata and consists of 22 surreal prose poems. One of them reads as follows:

Exit Visa

I woke up speaking another language. At the store I couldn't make myself understood. The aged stockboy backed away. The girl working the register shrugged. I started home, but cops were beating a man on the corner. It might as well have been the fall of France, or the day Sacco and Vanzetti were executed. The sky was the dismal gray of neglect. A street musician played the same song on his horn over and over. I also kept weeping. The border was near, sometimes in the guise of helpless firemen, sometimes in the guise of helpless fire.

Little Tragedies is available for $4 from Graffiti Kolkata.

No comments: