Sunday, 10 October 2021

A Dye Hard Interview: Dimakatso Sedite: With poetry, there is nowhere to hide


Dimakatso Sedite was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa. Her poetry has appeared in Teesta ReviewBrittle PaperNew CoinStanzasKalahari ReviewBKO, BotsotsoAerodromeBNAP and elsewhere. She was the joint winner of the 2019 DALRO Prize. She holds an MA in Research Psychology from the University of the Witwatersrand. Yellow Shade (Deep South, 2021) is her first book of poems

Yellow Shade is your first collection, but I am curious about how long you have been writing for.

I have been writing intermittently for myself since I was about 19 years old, or even earlier, if the short story I wrote when I was 10 is anything to go by. I would write mainly short stories and some poems, throughout my 20s and 30s, but did not see myself as a writer by any stretch. It was only in 2016, 27 years later, that I decided to submit my work for publication in journals. So, in that way, I’m a bit of an anomaly. All poems in this book were written between 2016 and 2020. Read more.

No comments: