Thursday, 21 April 2022

Extract from 'The Green Ghost', in Pravasan Pillay's short story collection, Chatsworth


 

On 12 August 1999, I found an article that I thought was worth investigating further. The article had appeared in the knock-and-drop Chatsworth Sun and was written by Frank Nair, who usually covered the paper’s paranormal beat. It involved an encounter with a ghost. As was often the case with the free com­munity papers, the article was short on details. However, one sentence caught my attention:

“The apparition appeared to be green in colouration and smelt dis­tinctly of syringa berry leaves.”

The next day, I called Frank Nair at the Sun and convinced him to give me the telephone number of Gona Naidoo, the man who had reportedly seen the ghost. I lied to Nair and said I was a sociology student and that this was for a research paper I was working on. Nair revealed that he had been struck by the unusualness of the story. “Where you heard of a green ghost before?” he had asked.

Arranging an interview with Gona Naidoo was simple enough. He agreed immediately to a meeting and seemed eager to share his story with me. We met on 16 August at Kara Nichha’s, a takeaway located just outside Chatsworth’s Bangladesh Market.

Naidoo, a Tamil, was short, dark-skinned and a little over­weight. He wore his grey-flecked hair closely cropped, and kept a cigarette behind his left ear. His eyes were bloodshot, his nose squat and his teeth stained by nicotine. He came dressed in a Manning Rangers FC T-shirt, grey track-pants and a pair of Jack Purcells. I was struck by how much he perspired, even for Durban; he was constantly wiping his face and hands with a small, blue terrycloth.

Naidoo was friendly, if a little shy at first, and open to all my questions. He seemed pleased when I mentioned my plans to submit the interview to Bhoot, and asked that I make a printout of it for him when I was done. We sat at a corner table and ate Kara Nichha’s famous grilled cheese sandwiches while we talked. I tape-recorded our interview and what follows is a transcript of that conversation.

 

No comments: